Skip to main content
You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Dog dies in Hickory house fire; blaze deemed accidental
top story breaking

Dog dies in Hickory house fire; blaze deemed accidental

  • Updated
  • 0

Catawba County Sheriff’s Office Investigator Brandon Styers retrieves a drone during an investigation into a house fire that occurred at a home on 54th Avenue NE on Tuesday.

A house was destroyed in a fire that also claimed the life of a dog on 54th Avenue NE in Hickory on Tuesday evening.

Catawba County Deputy Fire Marshal Jennifer Lowrance said dozens of firefighters from seven departments responded to the fire.

Support Local Journalism

Your subscription makes our reporting possible.

The three residents were able to get out of the house but their dog could not escape. Lowrance said the Red Cross is helping the family, and people in the neighborhood have also provided support.

“They had family coming in for the holidays so we just ask everybody to keep them in their thoughts this season, as everybody joins together, that they’ve lost their home, they’ve lost everything they’ve owned,” Lowrance said. She did not disclose the identities of the people in the house.

Lowrance said the fire was accidental and started around the fireplace.

The property was the site of an explosion in 2009 that leveled the house that was standing there at the time.

Lowrance said a new house was built there and sold to new owners.

Kevin Griffin is the City of Hickory reporter at the Hickory Daily Record.


Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


Breaking News

News Alert